for paralegal Bencher
Balance Fiscal Responsibility with Fiscal Equity
- Ensure fiscal discipline and restraint in reducing the operating budget;
- Lower paralegal fees to remove barriers to providing legal services;
- Introduce additional low-fee categories to recognize special needs of licensees who are disproportionately affected due to age, health, family structure, and other inequities;
- Facilitate transparency and proactive two-way engagement with licensees, educational institutions, and associations;
- Enable the option of paralegal participation in Legal Aid and LAWPRO.
Responsible and Efficient Governance
- Increase paralegal bencher representation at the LSO to proportionate levels;
- Scrutinize adjudicative and investigative ethics and conflicts;
- Strengthen independence and fairness of the Law Society Tribunal by removing cost recoveries and by establishing an arm’s length adjudicator appointment committee;
- Establish a policy statement against regulating thought, ideology, and expression.
- End the pandemic of frivolous, vexatious, and politically motivated complaints and weaponizing of the Tribunal and discipline process.
Access to Competence and Professional Development
- Enhance paralegal competence and standards of education;
- Raise awareness in the Justice community and the public of the excellent work that paralegals are capable of;
- Expand paralegal scope into immigration, appeals, and enhance family law to a meaningful scope;
- Oppose second-tier licensing requirements such as FLSP;
- Research and expand paralegal scope into other areas such as drafting of residential leases and private tribunals and ADR where paralegals already possess sufficient competence.
new campaign videos and articles are added every few days
Please subscribe below and stay current as this campaign reflects on issues that are important for us in this election. Read the articles, watch the videos, follow along with subtitles, or simply listen on the go.